Monday, November 12, 2012

Nice ta Meetcha-- Monday, November 12th: Taylor, Katie, & Christine

Hello again. Today, we're back to an all-girl lineup for the BBS Staff E-Meet-N-Greets. Enjoy!

Taylor --

  • When did you start working at BBS?
    •  I started working here in June this year (June 2012).
  • What is your role on the floor?
    • I'm a bookseller and coordinator, which means I do what the booksellers do but I also get to hold a cool yellow phone.
  • Where are you from originally and what brought you to Boulder?
    • I'm from Centennial, CO originally. I came to Boulder to attend CU but also because the ever-growing presence of cookie-cutter houses in my hometown gave me the creeps.
  • What are some of your favorite genres/specific titles?
    • Right now I'm working on Stoker's Dracula and enjoying it. The Little Prince never gets old and is my go-to comfort book. I'm crazy for magical realism but branching out of that I'm definitely a sci-fi/fantasy girl. I love Abarat by Clive Barker, The Foundation Trilogy by Asimov and anything Vonnegut. One of my favorite books is Life of Pi by Martel. Recently, I've been delving into a little non fiction. I read Air by William Bryant Logan (he also wrote Dirt: The ecstatic Skin of the Earth, which is worth reading) and I loved it. What I'm getting to is that I am addicted to reading and I will read just about anything I can get my hands on. 
  • What is your favorite thing about working at BBS?
    • I have the best co-workers around and that makes this a great place to be. It puts me in a good mood which definitely helps with the customer service aspect of our job. Also: books. That one's self explanatory.
  • What is one unique/interesting fact about you that one wouldn't necessarily learn in ordinary conversation?
    • I am terrified of cotton balls and participating in choreographed/organized dancing.

Katie -- 


  • When did you start working at BBS?
    •  Halloween day, 2011
  • What is your role on the floor?
    • I am a bookseller and an Event Host
  • Where are you from originally and what brought you to Boulder?
    • I was born in Denver but raised in Aspen and Denver, I came to Boulder for school, hooray learning!
  • What are some of your favorite genres/specific titles?
    • I had a weird obsession with the classics for awhile. Everything from Tolstoy to the Bronte sisters (except for Anne, poor, sweet Anne is always left out) Jane Austen and pretty much anything else you can find in the Dover Thrift section. My favorite book of all time is probably The Great Gatsby but that's impossible to know for sure. I really love Neil Gaiman, Leif Enger, but Jack Kerouac I love more than most. This could go on forever. I don't really stay in one genre, I will read any book that is nearby, I think that's what's great about books, though, there's an unending variety!
  • What is your favorite thing about working at BBS?
    • The people I work with, and Buster's giant bowl of candy, that's pretty neat too.
  • What is one unique/interesting fact about you that one wouldn't necessarily learn in ordinary conversation?
    • I'm a twin, but seeing as that is becoming increasingly less interesting (everyone has a twin these days) I will also add that I learned to ski when I was not even a year old.

Christine --

  • When did you start working at BBS?
    •  October 8th, 2008
  • What is your role on the floor?
    • The last two years I've been the Assistant in the Marketing and Promotions department. The last few months, I've also added ordering books to my list of things I'm in charge of. Really though, I just do everything.
  • Where are you from originally and what brought you to Boulder?
    • I'm originally from Cleveland, Ohio. My cousin's empty room and my lack of immediate prospects post-college-graduation brought me to Boulder.
  • What are some of your favorite genres/specific titles?
    • I love most books. Words are wonderful. Lately, I've been a big fan of Ruta Sepetys (she wrote Between Shades of Gray -- NOT to be confused with 50 Shades of Grey -- and will soon come out with Out of the Easy in February). In the last few years, some of my favorites have included Let the Great World Spin and Brooklyn. And really most books. Talk to me about books.
  • What is your favorite thing about working at BBS?
    • The people. I'm actually leaving at the end of November to live closer to my inlaws and I'm certainly going to miss my coworkers and working with books in general. The bookselling industry is pretty dismal in Pittsburgh (where I'm headed). Stores there have not fared as well as BBS. I've been fortunate enough to meet so many people (both staff and customers...and authors!).
  • What is one unique/interesting fact about you that one wouldn't necessarily learn in ordinary conversation?
    • When i was in high school, I owned enough pairs of ridiculous socks to fill a suitcase. Also I lived in Canada for 5 years of my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment